Thursday, July 21, 2016

LAST EMAIL FROM THE MTC





Hi Mama,

Kumusta sa Calgary???  It's day 36 or something and I'm feeling great.  6 days till i leave this continent and I go to the jungle. I'm hyped.  Also nervous.  Goodbye TP and sanitation and hello malaria and rice fields.

This week was typical except for a pretty life changing situation, let me explain.  So for the sunday devotional we all sit down and Prez Bertasso shares that instead of listening to a speaker we will all watch "characteristics of Christ" which is an amazing devo given by Elder Bednar of the 12.  It's the same one i mentioned in my last email.  I've seen it twice before this being the third time.  I'm still hyped.  They start the devo and i manage to listen to the first 30 mins then i pass out for the last 30 minutes.  IDK how i slept for 30 mins but thats the MTC life i guess.   Also every other tagalog speaker in my row falls asleep, classic.   But i catch the last couple mins of the video and then it ends.  The lights turn on and i scan the stand theres some new faces i don't think much of it until Prez Bertasso mentions that Elder Bednar snuck in to address the MTC.  So now we have one of the 12 apostles addressing us in person and I'm 4 rows away.  So much masigla.  No one could believe it.  Elder Bednar then asks us to ask him questions, guess who fires off the first one?   My companion right beside me.  It was funny, at first my Companion couldn't speak and was trying to get it together but he managed to ask a brilliant question about the spirit. Elder Bednar answers the question then asks my comp a few return questions, the have a little back and forth Elder Bednar and Elder Larsen.  The meeting lasts like an hour and 20 mins of just different missionaries asking him challenging and deep questions.  The answers and things he said changed me.  What was unique was we got to hear from Elder Bednars son, the area authority of Europe and also from his wife. she roasted him a little it was so funny!   The biggest thing that effected me was Elder Bednar told us to become CHARITY, and not just for the 2 years but for our whole lives.  Become it.  Super interesting.  Also Elder Bednars son went up and talked about his dad and shared the one thing he loved about his dad.  And it was the exact thing i shared in my last letter that i love about my dad. Turning out in hard times instead of turning in.  Man,  what a great experience.

Other than that huge learning oppurtunity its been pretty typical.  I heard from an yet another emeritus 70, Don R Clarke.  I  recognized him from confrence, great devo.  I got a tie from an RM thats from Hungary from a tie bag, crazy story.  Maybe one day ill share that one too.  We have a funny joke going around about the natural man.  Occasionally one of us will yell "theres a fight w the natural man in 5M!!!" and were always talking about the natural man because your mission is such a huge war with the natural man constantly.  Or you will see a cute girl walk by and some one will say "nice try natural man" or you will wake up one morning and one guys like "such a fight with the natural man last night".   So far were all beating him tho, tough enemy tho.  Always praying for strength against him.  Another struggle is with white shirts.  Since I've never worn a white shirt everyday for the past 5 weeks you can guess how many have gone to the dry cleaner.  Typical Scott.  Red powerade always seems to end up on them and my ties.  The drycleaner works magic tho.  I'm done for in the jungle.

A huge shoutout to my mom for the absolutely amazing photo book you made and sent for me and the peters shirt.  Huge hit and much appreciated.  I also want to give a huge thanks to all who have sent me mail and packages.  It's really made this challenging experience more bearable.  And tell wendy shipley i say thanks for the shirt you gave me,  its my fav, so good.

My  branch president in here is hilarious.  He is constantly telling stories and repeats them like none other.  Ive heard all of his stories like 5 times and he always says them exactly the same way.  Theres a joke floating around that if you record the stories he says and play them all at once they will perfectly sync up.  I testify to that.  He's made me laugh harder than I have in the past year.  Great guy.  He opened the Phillippines.  He says his wife is "feisty", she's like 100 pounds, 70 years old and 5 foot 0.  But there are rumours if she doesnt like your tie she will cut it off w scissors and also shes knocked an elder out who cut in front of her in the cafeteria.  LOL,  so far I've been meeting the best people.

So i have my flight itinerary.  I fly out of SLC at 7pm july 27. Arrive at LAX at 8 pm. Leave LAX at 1am and arrive in Hong Kong at 7am.  I fly out of Hong Kong at 9 am and arrive in the jungle at 11am july 29, local times of course.  That was super exciting to receive.  i will probably phone you guys out of the SLC airport or the LAX airport.  Be ready.  Get the fam together if possible.

Holy long email.  Nothing more to say.  Life is good.  The language is better then ever and i skype into the Phillipines again tonight.  It's the best. I LUV U GUYS!!! stay true

Work Hard, Pray Hard,
Elder Kurd






No comments:

Post a Comment